Well-being in Lockdown
When we first experienced a national lockdown in March last year it was the first time most of us had ever known anything like it. The majority of us thankfully weren’t directly affected by the virus itself and the weather turned beautiful just at the right time. We were at home and for many there was almost a sense of (dare I say it?) excitement – like a holiday, we couldn’t work and we had to stop running around to a full schedule seven days a week. For most, it was almost pleasant. This was before it began to wear thin……on so many levels.
This time round we know what to expect and know full-well the things we found difficult last time. And they all seem amplified in these cold, dark months. Our situation may have changed, making things more (or maybe less) difficult and of course, by now we may have been ill or lost someone ourselves to the virus – making this all the more real.
In my newsletter, I talked about reflecting on the positives and the lessons from last year, so I don’t want to dwell on how bad it could be for us – we all know that already. What I want to focus on is helping you to make this lockdown more bearable.
Why not try and see the last national lockdown as a practice run and do this one differently
- Many people have said to me “I wish I’d done…..while I had the time”. So if you are stuck at home now, with time on your hands, make a plan.
- Decide what you want to achieve and write it down – just a list or post-its will do, but if you’re a proper planner then put a timetable together.
- Make sure you get in some rest time
- And some exercise
- And maybe some spiritual practice (reading, meditation, time with your crystals)
- Cook and eat delicious and nutritious foods
- And try not to be glued to the news, or social media for that matter
We can do this differently this time if we choose to and yes, that means a positive mindset. But, and here’s the most important message……………..please don’t expect to be optimistic all the time. We are human and at the mercy of hormones and outside influences and the moon and emotions. So please cut yourself some slack when your mood isn’t good and use that time to rest.
When you are in a great frame of mind, make the most of it. Power through your plan, do practical things, necessary things and enjoyable things. Really make that positive energy work for you.
But when you’re not in that place, be kind to yourself. Wrap up cozy, drink warm drinks and do what you feel like doing. Don’t beat yourself up for not doing the housework, clearing out that cupboard or going for a run – you can do that another day. But also try not to spend the whole day on the sofa in front of the telly either. Try reading or a jigsaw, a craft project or even cloud watching from the warmth of your bed.
If you know you are prone to feeling low from time to time then there are things you can do to change your mood.
A little preparation when you’re feeling good can stand you in good stead for when you’re not.
- Try to eat healthily most of the time, as this can reduce the frequency and depth of the low moods.
- Take a few calming deep breaths.
- Get outside and breath some fresh air or at least look out of the window and get some natural light into your body.
- Have some crystals or aromatherapy oils to hand that can uplift you when you need them. Amethyst, orange calcite and rose quartz or neroli, petitgrain or sweet orange essential oils should do the trick.
- If something you are doing is dragging your mood down then stop, do something else and come back to it later
- Learn to recognise when your mood is changing and try one of the above.
And remember that everything changes, no situation ever stays the same for too long. You can reach out for help, there is plenty around but also you can dig deep and you will be amazed at your own inner strength.
There are many holistic therapies that can help at times like these including Distance Reiki and aromatherapy. You can find out more details here or you can contact me directly and I’ll be happy to chat with you.
Do know that the energies of the Universe have shifted since the Winter Solstice and so we are in a very different place. The light of the new Age of Aquarius is here, if we are willing to open up and see it. But we have to do this ourselves, we have to take charge for our own growth, progress, lives. Yes, there is help out there for physical, mental and spiritual well-being but we also have a responsibility to look after our own welfare.